New Year 7 Info.
Welcome to Wellington School. Please see below for useful information and handy hints in preparation for starting at Wellington School in September.
NEW PUPIL DAY – THURSDAY 6th JULY 2017
What time should I arrive?
Between 8.10am and 8.25am
Where should I go?
Report to the Main Entrance on Wellington Road where you will be greeted by a member of staff who will direct you to the Vale Hall
What do I need to bring?
Black biro and a pencil
How shall I dress?
Exactly as you do for Primary School. If you do not have a uniform come as smartly dressed as possible
What will I do for lunch?
You can buy lunch in our dining room for approximately £3.50 or you can bring sandwiches. Pupils who are entitled to a free school meal will be provided with one
What time will we finish?
Year 6 pupils will be dismissed from the Vale side on Wellington Road at 2.50pm. If you have an older brother or sister at Wellington they should collect you from the Vale Hall at 3.05pm
What happens if my brother or sister goes home without me?
We will contact your parents and arrange for you to be collected
THE FIRST DAY AT WELLINGTON
When is the first day?
Monday 4th September 2017
What time will I need to be in school?
You will need to be in school by 8.20am
What should I bring with me on the first day?
Basic equipment as follows:-
A pencil case
Two pens (blue or black)
A pencil sharpener
A plain DARK bag/rucksack to carry it all in!
A Casio FX-85GT Scientific Calculator
Will I need to bring in my PE kit on the first day?
You will NOT need your PE kit on the first day
HOW DO I COMMUNICATE WITH SCHOOL?
Ring 0161 928 4157 on the first day and every day of absence before 9.30am
Contact Mrs Dunne
Contact Miss Hodges
Contact your child’s teacher/ Head of Department
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO BEFORE SEPTEMBER?
- The regulation length for hair is a NUMBER 3 CUT OR ABOVE (top, sides and back). Dyed hair /streaks are NOT appropriate for school. Multiple plaits are NOT allowed. Beads and other extreme hair fashions are NOT allowed. Hair must be neat and of a business like appearance and should not cover the face.
- Jewellery, apart from one pair of plain gold or silver studs worn by girls only, in the lower lobe, is not permitted. Hooped earrings of any design are not suitable for school.
- Make-up to include fake tans is not allowed in school.
- Mobile phones and items of Electronic Communication are NOT ALLOWED in school and will be confiscated.
- Hoodies and/or sweatshirts MAY NOT BE WORN either in school or on the way to/from school; these will be confiscated.
- All pupils should have a plain dark coloured suitable school bag and PE bag. Pupils will be asked to replace unsuitable bags.
The Appearance Code is included in detail in the Behaviour and Appearance Code booklet. Please click here to open a copy
Petites Modes in Sale supply the Wellington uniform locally.
Uniform can also be purchased from Sportswear International Limited; orders may now be placed on line www.swischoolwear.co.uk . Please click here for order form and price list.
Please note that the only suppliers of the school jumper are Petites Modes.
Petites Modes in Sale, stock all items of uniform except sportswear.
Sportswear International stock only sportswear and school blazers. Please see below for further uniform information.
Label all items of clothing
BEHAVIOUR AND APPEARANCE CODE / INTERNET SAFETY
Make sure you have read these documents carefully and have signed both contracts
COMPLETE EVERY CHILD MATTERS DOCUMENT
Make sure this has been completed and handed in to your child’s tutor
Only return the reply slip if you would like to opt out of the Biometric System
NHS SCHOOL HEALTH QUESTIONNAIRE
Make sure this has been completed and handed in to your child’s tutor
(all of these documents are in the pack issued on New Parents Evening)
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED WITH THE SCHOOL?
ENGAGE WITH YOUR CHILD’S EDUCATION
Have a look at your child’s exercise books; test them on their French vocabulary
Come along to the Carol Service or Talent Show!
TOP TIPS FOR PARENTS OF YEAR 7 PUPILS
Establish routines sooner rather than later:
- Make sure they arrive at School by 8:20am; Help them organise their school bag the night before; Encourage /force them to do homework the day it is set; Check their planners for any messages from teachers and sign it ready for Monday; Ask to see their homework if they claim to have done it!
- Ensure that you fully understand the School’s dress code before buying items of clothing and footwear. And then put their name in EVERYTHING!
- Keep a copy of your child’s timetable and homework timetable in a visible place to help them become organised as quickly as possible – you can check they have the right equipment.
- Encourage your child to keep all their school things in one place – so they can’t claim to have lost something!
- Regularly go through your child’s bag and planner to check for letters or any other communication from School.
- Encourage them to become involved in extra-curricular activities and make the most of new opportunities.
- Provide your child with spares of the basics, such as multiple pens, pencils etc. to bring to school.
- Have a clear space in which your child can complete homework without any distractions.
- Attendance is crucial EVERY child should aim for 100% attendance.
- Use Parent Pay to pay for School meals – it is so much easier than cash!
BRINGING IN FORGOTTEN ITEMS
If your son/daughter has forgotten to bring in any item for example Food Tech ingredients, homework or PE kit, this is not a reason for them to be telephoning home to ask for them to be dropped off at Reception.
In line with other local schools, Wellington School aims to teach students to become responsible for themselves and to remember to bring in the items they need for the day.
Please be aware that any items we receive during the day will not automatically be passed on to your son/daughter.
Thank you in anticipation of your support.
As your child starts a new period of their school life here at Wellington School, we have decided to arrange a ‘Bonding Day’ for all new Year 7 pupils to attend. Click here to view information about the Bonding Day
INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC TUITION
At Wellington we have our own peripatetic service that currently offers tuition on the following instruments: Piano/Keyboard, Voice, Violin, Flute, Clarinet, Oboe, Saxophone, Cello, Drums, Acoustic and Electric Guitar. All students receiving Instrumental Tuition must attend at least one musical extra-curricular activity per week. This gives students the opportunity to make music as part of an ensemble, as well as consolidating the learning in the lesson.
The lessons are provided during the school day at a fixed cost of £36 a term based on a minimum of 10 lessons. The music lessons are heavily subsidised by the school to the sum of over £100 per pupil, per instrument, per term. Lessons will take place during the normal school day on a rota basis.
If you would like your child to take advantage of this opportunity then please click here for further information.
At Wellington School we deliver a detailed and comprehensive Personal Relationships and Sex Education programme in line with Government Statutory Framework. It is important that you read the attached letter for further information. Please click here to open
For a selection of menus on offer for the Summer Term 2017, please click here to open
FREE SCHOOL MEALS
Did you know that your child may be entitled to free school meals?
Children whose parents receive the following support payments are entitled to receive free school meals.
- Income Support
- Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190.
- Working Tax Credit ‘run on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
HOW TO CLAIM:
Access Trafford, Waterside House
Waterside, Sale, M33 7ZF
Tel: 0161 912 3265